Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Great Packing Question

There is almost as much online advice about packing for a vacation in Europe as there is chatter about romance, politics and sleazy celebrities.

One favorite commentary I read recently (HERE) suggested to  put on your bed two empty suitcases, one to check, one to carry on the plane.  Lay out all the things you'll need for your trip -- matched outfits, extra shoes, travel iron, etc.  Fill the carry-on bag with the absolute necessities you couldn't survive without -- prescription drugs, travel documents, one change of clothes, camera.  Fill the bigger bag with the rest of the stuff.  Then "wheel the 70-pound suitcase into the corner, out of the way, grab the carry-on and head to the airport."

Another good tip I've read -- someone described her parents' solution to too many bags -- everyone simply layers and wears all the clothes they will need.

Some travelers claim you should always pack just for a week and include a few hours for laundry in your time budget.  They say of course you can buy anything you need in Europe -- it's not exactly uncivilized, having been civilized a couple of thousand years longer than our side of the ocean.  They also claim that scouting around for personal items can be an adventure, particularly when your language skills are iffy.

I've never taken more than a carry-on bag (and a big purse) to Europe, and I've managed fine.  In fact, I've always regretted the crap I've packed that I've never used.  Truthfully, if I need that many Band-Aids, I really should go to the emergency room, and I'm sure my cache of over-the-counter drugs is more valuable than all my other possessions combined.

But, I seem to have hit a mental block in knowing this trip is going to extend longer than the usual two weeks, and that it will include staying in an apartment, amenities unknown. I have to confess, I'm torn about The Packing Problem.  My brain and my instinct to remain unencumbered say to take just the carry-on and wing it.  My stronger nesting instincts, however, have forced me so far to spend $150 on drugstore goodies plus tea, Sweet & Low and dry soup mix.  You wouldn't think that 200 pink packets of artificial sweetener would be that bulky, would you?

The rationale for toting a bigger bag is that the day trips I'm planning around Northern France will be exactly that -- day trips - no need to haul luggage for overnight stays.  Also, I'm settling into one spot in Paris and "homey" is my middle name.  (Not to be confused with "S'up, homey?")  It must be my moon in Taurus as "homey" is necessary to my peace of mind.  Not glamor, not style -- just dog-and-slippers comfort.

On a rainy day last week I created my master packing list  Since then, exercising what I feel was great strength of character, I've crossed off the framed picture of my family (get a grip, Cyn, it's only a month); the salt & pepper shakers; the microwave popcorn; the salad dressing, the curling iron (who cares?); and the vitamins, well, except vitamin C as I swear it both prevents AND cures colds.

I'm not sure where the compulsion comes from to buy all NEW clothes for a trip, but I have -- even new undies, although I'm quite sure the TSA hasn't started strip-searching yet.  Actually, I find the fact they won't be strip-searching just a bit disappointing -- I've never worn neon-striped panties before and no one but me will get to see them.

The real countdown begins tomorrow, when I can truthfully say "I'm leaving this month for Paris."  I guess I'm going to have to get both suitcases out soon, do a trial packing session and see which one gets to go.  I may not need all four pair of slacks or eight long-sleeved tops, the sweatshirt jacket AND the turtleneck sweater.  I'm not giving up the jumbo baggy of tea and Sweet & Low, though.  I'll just use it as a pillow on the plane.